Monday, March 16, 2009

DAR


Ashley's school has the 5th through 8th grade write a paper on some topic assigned. It is different every year and there are certain requirements for this paper. The paper is called a DAR. It stands for the Daughters of the American Revolution.

So I, Ashley wrote my paper and the school picked a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner and sent it to the Tucson DAR chapter. (Mine was sent in as the 1st place winner) The ladies at the DAR chapter read through all the entries and pick a winner for each grade. I won for the 8th grade, Tucson Chapter, so I had to go and read me paper aloud to them. Then my paper was sent off to the State DAR chapter. Mine also won so I had to go read my paper to the people at the State level also. It was sent of to district level but I did not win. This whole experience was really wonderful and I am greatful I had the opportunity to participate in such an event.
This is me reading it at the Tucson Chapter

And the certificate they presented me along with $50.

At the State competition, Steven came and was my own personal photographer!

The State DAR ceremony was such a big production. They even had actors that looked like Abraham Lincoln and his wife come and put on a skit for all those in attendance.

2 comments:

Sandi and Curtis said...

We are so excited and proud of you Ashley!

Kevin said...

Ashley, I'm proud of you as well...
Love, Dad...